A full day education workshop all about backpacking right in the heart of Austin! Not only will we learn together, we will also have time to hike the park and do a polar plunge in the falls for those interested!
Mckinney Falls State Park( right in the heart of Austin!)
- How to pack a backpack optimally
- What food to bring
- How to pack food based on your weight/distance
- Best equipment for different backpacking and camping experiences
Tentative Outline of Education:
10:00 am - 11: 00 am - Introduction to Backpacking and Camping
The difference between backpacking and camping
Checklists for Backpacking and Camping
Essentials for both experiences
11:00-12:00 pm - How to pack for a backpacking trip
Backpack: What size do I bring?
How to back everything efficiently and appropriately
What should my pack weigh based on my weight
12:00- 2:00 - Backpacking meals and snacks. We will eat what we cook!
- Three go to healthy meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner on backpacking trips
What does a backcountry kitchen look like
How do I plan my food for my weight and dietary needs
Cooking methods and storage for meals
2:00-3:00- Group discussion and Q & A on individual needs and questions
What to bring:
- If you don't have any equipment that is totally fine but bring your backpack, cooking materials etc if you do have them!
- Your own lunch
Number of spots: 12
Number of spots left: 8